Monday, April 29, 2013

State Champions

First thing is disclaimer. This is not blog knocking the accomplishments of any Free Poker network player. I am happy for anyone that qualifies for any of their tournaments and I wish them the best of luck in their events and will be there following them if they post.

Recently, the FPN held their state tournaments including MN. When they get down to the number of players that they advance to nationals they proclaim them State Champions and give them a trophy. At the current MN event there were 254 players that were eligible to play. Now I am assuming that not all players were able to attend. They were giving away 20 National Tournament entries. These 20 are the new State Champions. That is approximately 10 percent of the field which is very close to the payout schedule of most tournaments. So, if you are using the FPN thought process at last years WSOP Main Event they had 666 Main Event champions. The last HPT event had 27 champions. Austin Monson is a MSPT champion and I am a champion of many poker events. The funny thing is I have never won an event, but I have cashed or "qualified" in many poker tournaments. So, why not call it what it is. You are only a State Champion if you are the last man, women or team standing. This concept makes the Vikings Super Bowl champs or the Wild Stanley Cup champs. The top 20 are National Qualifiers. then play down to an actual State Champion. I know that the FPN has done it before as Kari Davis from Willmar was a true State Champion a few events ago. I know that the whole discussion is kind of trivial but it bugs me to call someone a champion when they really are not.

1 comment:

  1. I agree Dave, it has always annoyed me as well, I have consistently told our team to call them Nat'l Qualifiers, not state champions unless we are playing down to one. It is a matter of clarifying the language on that. For the record, we will be recording these players as Nat'l Qualifiers. -Brook

    ReplyDelete