Thursday, December 15, 2011

Freeloaders!

I was playing in a local bar game recently and the subject came up about people purchasing things at bars that they play at. Here locally we have several players that come play and rarely purchase anything. I have talked with several bar owners about this before and have told them that they should tell this players that they are not welcome in their businesses if they are not going to be customers. The problem is none of the owners will actually follow through with doing this. If I was the owner why would I want someone in my place that could be taking actual customers out of the game and probably out of their business. It seems a losing proposition for them. One player made the comment " well I try and buy something every time, but sometimes I just don't have any money". The answers simple. If you don't intend on purchasing anything when you go to a bar poker game, then just stay home! Come back again when you can be a customer. I have made this statement may times before, but here it is again.

Bar Poker Definition - A bar promotion that an establishment uses to bring in customers to increase revenues.

It's very simple, if the bar is not making any money then there is no reason to run a promotion.
I always try and spend a minimum of $10 per time that I play bar poker. Most bars spend an average of $100 to 150 on bar poker. Most average locally depending on the night 20-40 players. If each of those players only purchased one soda at $2, that means the bar would take in between $40 and $80 losing up to $70 in one night. I don't know too many owners that like to lose money on promotions that they run. If everyone spend $10 then the bar would take in between $200 and 400 in a night. That's better, but when you consider that the bar has many costs such as payroll, cost of goods sold, insurance and licenses & mortgages. It doesn't seem like such a great promotion. I know that many of you that read this blog are not the problem, in fact most of you are why this promotion still works. I just think it time for more players to step up and start giving these freeloaders a hard time, because I don't know about you but I would like to continue to be able to play bar poker. So next time you see someone that hasn't purchased anything speak up and tell them you don't want them to cost you your chance to play the game we love.

No comments:

Post a Comment