Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Another Tuesday Night at Clearwater

It was another Tuesday night at Clearwater. It had been a good day so far. Work wasn't very busy. so I got off early and got to spend the rest of the afternoon at home with my wife before going to run poker. I was in a good mood and looking forward to playing when I arrived to set up. They have a pool team that plays there on Tuesdays and they moved the pool tables back to where we play poker so it makes it kind of tight back there. I had everything set up away from the pool tables and left them plenty of tables and space for them. Of course they were unhappy and were complaining about not having enough room, but we both had enough. It's a big place. What I didn't realize is that they play music all night and both speakers are by where we play poker. I felt sorry for the bartender because poker yelled at him if it was too loud and pool yelled at him if it was too soft. I will have to deal with this issue before next time now on to the game.

I get to my table and look around. There were two new players this week and both were on my table. It became clear after two hands what one player intended to do. On the second hand he called preflop. After the flop he bet 2000 into a pot of 125 and everyone folded. He then won the next three hands in similar fashion. Now I am think I have to win some of these chips before someone else gets them all. I decide to play every hand that is not raised regardless of my starting cards and hope to catch a flop. After a few more hands I finally catch a decent flop. I have second pair with an open ended straight draw. Some else bets about the size of the pot. I call figuring new guy would raise but then folds. Now I am heads up and I know I am behind. Turn doesn't hit me but the bet made is small enough compared to the pot size that I call. I miss the river and have to fold. In the next two hands the new guy loses all his chips. In one he caught second pair with an ace on the board and bet all the way including the river into a tight player and lost all most all his chips. The next hand I have A-Q suited and make a bigger then normal raise trying to get him all in. He folds but other new guy and two others call. Flop is K-8-2 two hearts. Damn, I missed. It is checked to my. I make a big bet and hope everyone folds. Other new guy calls. I am dead. Turn is checked and he beats the river. I have to fold. I am now down to just under 2000 chips. Very next hand I have 10-10 in the big blind. There are several limpers including the now short stacked new guy and other new guy. I move all in hoping to get heads up with new guy and of course he calls all in for less, but the other new guy also calls. He has K-K and played the limp call move. New shows Q-6 off. Flop is Q- and two small cards. The rest doesn't bring a ten and new guy and I are both out after the first two blind levels. I guess that my strategy didn't work very well. It makes for a long night when you get knocked out early when you are running the tournament.

Now to today's question of the day. When you have a player such as new guy on the table should you change your play to try and win those chips. I believe that it is worth the risk to try, but sometimes it goes as above. Or should you play your usual style and hope you catch a hand to win some of those chips? Comment away!

No comments:

Post a Comment