Monday, October 12, 2009

Final Table Play

I have been putting a lot of thought into my poker play, as of late I seem to make it to the final table or close to the final table in most tournaments that I play both cash and free. It seems that once I make it to the final table that I can't seem to get past about middle of the table. I want to blame it on the cards that I have been getting, but I know better, so it must be my play at this point in a tournament. I know that I need to be more aggressive but when the blinds get high I always seem to get called so even a semi bluff doesn't make sense to me. In most tournaments I would say that my play is loose aggressive for the early blind levels then turns to tight aggressive as the limits raise. I tend to be short to middle stacked when I get to a final table. Should I have the any ace mentality at this point in the tournament or just wisely pick and choose my spots based on cards and position. I would love to hear your comments!

Last Thursday I was once again able to play in the Twitter Poker Tour event www.twitterpokertour.com As it was getting closer to time to play it was announce that each player would have a $5 bounty on them provided by Cuzzinlaw. Thanks for doing that for the TPT.
Anyway it was very exciting to play a $5 buy in and have a chance at $5 bounties for each player knocked out. I decided to play a little more conservation then normal in the event and had a decent run of cards early to be up a few hundred chips. Play on the table was some what aggressive as players very after bounties. Maybe an hour in I look and have pocket kings. The pot was raised and called by two other player before it gets to me. I reraise the size of the pot. The original raiser pushes all-in and has me covered. I immediately think to myself, he must have aces. He must have aces. It is folded to me. When you play online you don't always get a lot of time to make your decisions. I decide in the end that I would call and risk my tournament. If he has aces I am beat but if he has anything else I will be way ahead. The cards flip over and he has pocket queens. Wow great call by me. Flop is all unders, turn gives him a straight draw and yes you know it, the river brings a queen and I am done. It was very disapointing. I guess the right move would have been to fold my kings preflop which I was very close to doing, but it is so hard to fold kings preflop. Plus a double up at this point in the event would have been big. Oh well, maybe next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment