Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Poker Terminology

Poker is a game that is full of names. There are names for hands. Names for ways of playing. I am going to throw a what I believe would be a new name out there.

In poker if you have a pair in your hand and you flop a third one it is called a set, but if you have one in your hand and two come on the flop you have trips. I am not sure what difference it makes and am not even sure if the statistics of it are any different. I am sure some of you would know so please let mt know? This leads me to my new terminology of quads vs 4 of a kind. If you have a pair in your hand and two more come on the board you would have quads and if you have one in your hand and three come on the board then you have 4 of a kind. Once again I don't know if it matters but to me this is how it should be. I suppose it really shouldn't matter but I don't get very excited about making 4 of a kind over how I do when I get quads. Both are great hands and usually get you a lot of chips and in fact 4 of a kind will almost always be against someone that has a full house so I think your chances of winning a bigger pot are better. On the opposite there is no greater feeling then have a pair in your hand and getting quads. I have seen players almost jump out of their chairs on flops when hitting quads. It makes for an easy laydown if you are paying attention. This all comes about from me bar game last night. My friend from anniesaces won several big hands early and on one of her big hands she had quads vs full house and in fact the guy that lost actually had two different full houses. She is telling me this and I am trying to figure out how he had two full houses when it finally came out that she had 4 of a kind and that there was three of a kind on the board and he had paired the other two cards on the board from his hand.

It may all be pointless, but it is my proposal. A pair in your hand you have quads and one in your hand you have 4 of a kind! Love to hear your comments!

3 comments:

  1. I'm not sure of the "technical" terminology, but I've heard the debate over trips and three of a kind before as well. I agree with the quad vs. four a kind terminology as well, makes sense to me. It would help actually in trying to relay a hand verbally or in writing. Regardless, I did get a nice paycheck on that four of a kind last night! Now..I gotta go before someone throws a turkey sandwich at me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three of a kind and a set are the same thing. Quads and four of a kind are the same thing. It doesn't matter how the hand is made, it's the best 5 card poker hand using your cards and the community cards.

    Think about this...

    You still hear "set" and "three of a kind" from stud players right? All the cards are in their hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whatever you want to call them, I sure do like it when I am catching them. At least with online quads, no one sees me jumping up from my seat yelling "YES". Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete