Monday, May 17, 2010

Opening Fishing weekend

What a great weekend for opening of fishing here in MN. The weather was exceptional. I have the sunburn to prove! Now if only the fish had been a little more cooperative. My weekend started on Wednesday with it rainy and cold. I headed up a couple of days early to get some work done so we could fish all weekend long. Luckily, the rain held off enough for me to get the mowing done and rake up the shoreline. We had a lot of relatives coming for the weekend , so I also needed to get our other RV unwinterized so people could use it. My wife had to work on Wed. and Thurs. so it was only me and ny dog tenpin. It was a relaxing couple of days. Went fishing once and went to town to play poker one night. More on that later. Friday came and the sun came out. Guests showed up and the fun began. Had several happy hours around the fire and did manage to catch a few fish. I pretty much caught one of everything throughout the weekend. Caught about a 3 pound muskie on opener and did manage one nice 4 lb walleye on Saturday night. I think it must have been the cold weather that we have been having over the past 2 weeks, because everyone was predicting a great opening weekend of fishing and it was the opposite. We had to work very hard to caught a few fish. Going again on Wed. and Thurs. this week and think it will be prime time for the crappies. Unfortunately, I forgot my camera at the lake, so no pictures until Friday. Sorry.

Went in to town on Wednesday night to play bar poker at the local bowling center. It is a game a long time ago that I used to run. I remembered a few players, but how times have changed. They played on regular tables from Sam's Club LOL. They had a nice turn out about 40 players. Started with 3000 in chips with 15 minute blinds. It is always fun to play with new players. I played very well and was chip leader on table for most of the night until I made a bad read. Actually, I made a good read and bad read. I didn't think he had flopped a straight, but missed that he had flopped a set. Oh well, I had played for two hours and was out of beer. It was one of the few times that I made a call based on how much beer I had. I blame you Fitzwell!

Thanks to all my family for making it a fun opener. Hopefully next time the guide does a better job of finding fish!

No comments:

Post a Comment