Friday, May 21, 2010

Strange Incident

If you play a lot of poker you see a lot of strange things happen. I don't know if it is karma or just a weird coincidence, but here is a strange incident that happen to me last Tuesday.

I had a little time before my bar game to run that night and I hadn't played online for a very long time. I decided to play a turbo sit & go on Absolute Poker. I was quite a way into the tournament and had played very aggressive to this point. I had a little under 1000 in chips in a 1500 start event. I have pocket 3's under the gun and raise to 250 a little less then 3 times the big blind. Flop is 2-3-4. I move all in for my last 900 and get called by A-Q, so I am in pretty good shape. But, this is online poker and the 5 comes on the river to give other player a straight and knock me out.

I get to poker that night and end up sitting next to a player I had not seen for a long time. He lives in the cities and doesn't play much anymore. It was fun catching up with him. We are almost an hour into the tournament and we start talking about online poker and I tell him the story of todays online beat. We both laugh and make the comment about online play and how you can sometimes tell when you are going to river or be rivered by someone. The very next hand after the story, I look down and see that I have pocket 3's. Wow, I think. Is that weird or what. I raise 3 times the big blind and get 3 callers. Flop is 2-3-4. Unbelievable. Now what am I going to do. I make a big bet because after earlier I want to take this pot down right now. Player I was just talking to thinks for a long time and then finally folds his draw. Everyone else folds and I turn over my threes and explain to the table how bazaar that it was to get that hand and have that flop at that precise time. At least this time I won! That just shows one of the differences between live and online play. My friend probably would have called with his draw online as most people do, but is able to fold it in a live game. To make it more interesting later we were talking about A-Q and the very next hand I had A-Q and won another nice pot. I laughed and showed my cards to him and said now we better talk about aces. No such luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment