Monday, August 23, 2010

Charity Event

Wow, it has been a long time. This summer is going fast and all my extra time has been spent at the lake or taking care of a new puppy which by the way is worst then taking care of a baby. At least a baby you can put diapers on. Here are some updates.

Last weekend was the first annual charity event for the CMPPA. I was a little disappointed with the attendance of 60 but event went smoothly and we raised almost $1100 for Cancer research. Players started with 10,000 in chips and blinds were 30 minutes for the 1st 4 hours and then 20 min. for the rest. My chip stack spent the day going up and down until I called an all in with pocket queens and was knocked out by A-4. I seem to be in stretch where I can't win to the 2 or 3 outer. It is certainly where I want to be in the hand if I am all in. Hopefully this streak will end soon. I started on a table that had several tighter players and it, but what made this table interesting was the fact that early on players keep getting AA or KK. I had AA twice early in the tournament and the first time they were cracked. Another player had KK twice and lost both times with them. It was one of those tables. As the tournament moved on, we got many new players to the table that changed the play on it. A player was moved in to my left that I will call player C. Player C is very aggressive and like to reraise any raise that I make. He has done this on my occasions when to my left and today was no different. I finally asked him if he was going to reraise me every time and he basically said yes. It is good and bad. I won several pots when I had better starting hands, but it takes away the chance to bluff at anything as you know you will get called or raised. Then it happened. I reaised to 1600 under the gun with pocket 4's. C moves all in for 12,000 in chips. The button thinks for a little bit and calls. I fold my 4's. C turns over pocket 9's and button has pocket kings and takes out C. I asked him why he would reraise so much with 99. His answer was that he wanted to be heads up with me. I say the only hand that would call that big of a bet is a hand such as AA or KK. I like C but was glad to see him leave so I could get back to playing my poker game. My advice to C. Don't move all in in early position with anything less then a big hand. If you want to reraise then make it to 4800 and be able to get away if someone calls or reraises you. Then instead of being out you could have had chips to give to me!

Another interesting had was raised and reraised preflop by two players. Flop is K-K-4. Hand is played all the way to river. One player turns over AA and the other KK. He flopped quad kings and then got bet into all the way to river and AA called his big bet at the end. Why does that never happen to me! It was another case of over playing AA. It was clear by the turn that the player had at least one king and AA should have been able to fold to the big river bet. I do give him credit for not getting them all in preflop and staying alive in the tournament.

No comments:

Post a Comment