Thursday, August 5, 2010

Limping Aces

I am pretty sure that I have talked about this before, but here goes again. When you have a big hand such as aces or kings and the pot has not been raised then you must make a bet. I know that some of you like to mix up your play, but slow playing big pairs is slow death. It may work once in a while to limp with them, but it is not worth the risk. Remember it always better to win a small pot then to lose a big one. This example is from my Tuesday game. I was on a table with a lot of players that like to limp pre flop. Five players are in the hand for 100 each. Big blind checks. Flop is 3-6-7 with two of one suit not sure which. Min bet guy is first to act and bets 100. BB rasies to 600. Min bet guy calls. Turn is a blank. Min bet guy bets 100. BB pushes all in and min bet calls and turns over aces. BB turns over 4-5 unsuited and wins 80 percent of min bets chips. After hand BB says why didn't you raise. I would have folded. Min bet says I like to mix it up with aces and play them different. LOL! I have never seen him play them any other way then limpimg them. That same night I have JJ on the button with 3 limpers to me. I raise 6 times the blind and get 3 callers. Flop is all unders. Player makes a small bet and I move all in over the top as I have them covered and don't want anyone with an over to catch. Player calls and turns over aces. I lose 75 percent of my stack, but am not worried as I still have enough chips and the players on my table are mostly poor. I end up winning all my chips back over the next few blind levels and winning the tournament. So remember, If you have a big hand make a raise or a reraise. You don't have to commit all your chips, but you must get rid of weak hands that will sometimes out flop you.

No comments:

Post a Comment