Sunday, August 14, 2011

The end of another era

It has became public beginning next week the Granite Bowl will be closing it's doors. It's maybe the end of an over 60 year era. I am very proud to have been part of it's existence for over 10 years. I believe that I brought a little life to the place by making it a fun family bowling center over my run there. I do believe that at some point it will be reopened by someone with the right passion for the industry. Bowling is an ever changing business and unfortunately the current owner didn't have the insight to move the center in the correct direction. Too many proprietors today are relying on an old school approach to their businesses and not realizing that the casual customer is the future of their industry. The days of 32 week league bowling season are coming to an end along with bowlers bowling more then one league a week. To get the occasional bowler to come into a center it requires the following:
A clean center including the bathrooms and kitchen area.
Fresh and modern equipment.
Excellent staff that enjoy their jobs.
Well priced bowling, food and beverage prices. It doesn't mean that you have to give it away you just need the customers to feel that they are getting value from their experience 
Thank them for coming. It's a small thing but very important!
Too many owners believe it's a build it and they will come industry, when it is all about customer service. The public has many options for it's recreation dollars you have to make them want to come back!
Did I do everything right during my tenure at the Granite Bowl. Certainly not, but I believe that my family and I gave it our best efforts. A few good things did come from my time at GB. I met many great individuals and developed many new friendships. The CMJTT and SMJTT junior bowling tournaments came into existence and bar poker became a permanent fixture in MN. High School bowling became a bigger program and became a letter sport at Tech high school.
Many people have asked my " why don't you buy the Granite Bowl again" and the answer is it will take a great effort to rebuild the center again and I have already did it once. Now it's someone different turn.
So I say goodbye to an old friend or hopefully until we meet again!

No comments:

Post a Comment