Friday, February 19, 2010

Bad Beats

As a person that runs lots of bar poker games, I have seen more then my share of bad beats. In fact, I have been on both ends of them many times myself. Today I am going to talk about dealing with bad beats. You play poker, it's going to happen to you.

Now remember if you are playing bar poker that not all players may take it as serious as you may. Some people play solely as a form of socialization. To them it is about the people and the evening more then it is about poker. Other, face it, are just not smart enough to know any better. Then there are players like me that take the game very serious and use each poker game as a learning experience. Yes, we do suck out sometimes, but it is usually because of being all in or by pot odded into calling.

Now taking this all into account, how should you handle a bad beat? My suggestion is to say "Nice Hand" or "Nice Hand Sir". Walk away and take a second to catch your breath before you say something you might later regret. Always remember that you have done about the same thing to another player at some time in your poker endeavors. I am person that always tries to teach players to improve their game. Later, I may ask the player what he was thinking when making a call. It is nice to understand what other players are thinking for future reference. I will usually explain why that what did, even though they won, might not have been the best option at the time. Getting mad at player does you and the person no good. It accomplishes nothing except maybe making the player want to try and bad beat you again to get the same reaction next time.

Rules for being Bad Beat!
1. Remain calm
2. Say Nice hand or Nice Hand Sir
3. Walk away and catch your breath
4. Remain calm
5. Spend next 24 hrs telling your bad beats story! LOL!
6. Let it go before you play again!

If all else fails start a blog like me!

No comments:

Post a Comment