Saturday, February 13, 2010

It's been a while!

Yes, it has been a while. I have been very busy between working and running poker games. I have bow added another night Thursdays to make it 5 games a week. Thanks to my helper Dustin or I might go a bit crazy. First a little talk about bowling, then on to a little poker.

I have bowled most of my life having grown up in bowling centers. I haven't bowled much over the last two years, but decided to take it up again this year and bowl a few tournaments with my kids. It has been a fun year doing tournaments with them, but I have come to the realization that it is time to quit bowling league each week. It is a big commitment of my time and money. Between weekly fees and new bowling equipment it is just getting to be too much. I am going to finish the bowling season that I have started but this is going to be the end. It is time to hang up my bowling shoes and spend the time spent bowling with my wife. Maybe again another time.

On to poker. It has been as interesting few weeks. I have been on kind of a bad streak playing. I am making the right moves but not catching any cards. Last night was better so maybe it is starting to turn around for me. We will see. Here's a few interesting hands from recent.

Player A raises under the gun. Player B & C call. Player D moves all in for a little more. It was enough for a reraise. Player A moves all in for a couple of thousand more. Player B moves all in for 100 more then B. Player D call for less then A & B but more then D. I am watching thinking there must be aces and at least kings going to be turned up. LOL! Player A turns AK suited, B has pocket 99, C has A-K unsuited, D has A-K unsuited. All right now I see the all in by D and A, but I don't really get the calls by B & C. C is a very poor player so I get it. He couldn't throw away his monster! What I don't get is Player is C. He has a mid pair with two all ins and only a couple of hundred invested with one more likely to call. The flop is 9-2-2. He flops a full house and takes all the players out. I just hate plays like that. It was a terrible all in by B and he ends up winning a huge pot. He did end up with the best case that he could have had with only 3 overs and all sharing the ace. If I make that same move they would all turn over pocket pairs bigger then mine. I asked him how do you make that move with a mid pair. He says I figured they all had an ace. Yea right. He did as soon as the cards were turned over. It does show that what comes around goes around. A little later a player to his left raises and he goers into his little show that he does when he has a monster hand and moves all in over the top. Guy calls for all his chips which he has a big stack with pocket 9's. Monster has KK. Flop is a 9, turn is the other 9 for quads. I guess that is why I don't win poker tournaments that often. I would have folded the pocket 9's in both cases.

Last night I made a huge mistake at the table by not paying attention. I don't usually play on Friday nights but I looked at table 1 and the quality of players was high so I decided to play. It was fun. I was catching cards and the company and conversation was good. I built up a decent size stack and was rolling along when it happened. I looked down at 4-6 off and decided to limp in with who was small and big blind. I figured I could take the pot down after the flop or get away if I didn't like the flop. Then it happened. I wasn't paying attention and when it came to my turn I said call and though in my 800 chips. A player had moved in for 6000 and I didn't see it. On top of that he is a tight player that would only move all in with a monster. Being the good tournament director that I am I put my call in which was over half of my chips at the time. Another tight player also calls for less so now I am even more screwed. 1st all in has jacks and other guy has A-Q. He flops an aces and I loss most of my stack. Moral of the story always know what is going on around you before you verbalize your act! At least I hadn't paid a buy in to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment