Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Donkey Dave

We all have those moments when we make calls and suck out and have those donkey moments that you embarrassed to admit that you played a hand that way. Last night was a classic moment for me. It was early in my Tuesday game and I was on a table with 5 ladies that all have varied levels of skill. Yes, I am trying to be nice! My starting hands were running very good, but usually turned to junk in a hurry. They was no raise that wasn't being called. When on a table like this I tend to play hands based on who is in the two blinds. Players that tend to check, I will limp in with pretty much any two cards. I am in late position with K-5 off. BB will almost always check so I call preflop. Gets to BB and she raises 250 more. I have 100 in. There are 3 callers before it gets to me so I call and so do the two behind me. Flop is K-7-4. BB bets 1500. Everyone folds to me. Know what I know is she has a pair, but what pair does she have. I know that she doesn't have A-K because she would have checked with it. There is already over 2000 in pot so I decide to call and see one more card and see if she checks and I will know where I am at. Turn is a K. WOW! She bets 1500 and I just call. I am know certain that I am ahead, but want to play cautiously just in case she has a K with a better kicker. River is blank. She checks and I decide to check and turn over my k-5. She turns over pocket aces and goes immediately on tilt by my call of her bet after the flop. I take down a nice big pot and almost double. It was a donkey play but the way she bet the hand allowed me to catch up. I would have certainly folded preflop to a more experienced player. I guess what goes around comes around as later in the tournament I KK and ran into KK for a split pot that I thought I would win and then pushed all in with 77 late in blinds in early position to run into QQ and JJ and come up short of the points. Maybe a lesson was learned, at least by me anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment