Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Hole in game

At last nights bar game a player that I have a lot of respect for came up to me after getting knocked out of the final table and said to me " that is one of the biggest holes in my game" and then went on to explain. He had been knocked out by pocket kings that had limped in preflop and then called all bets and all in when player had flopped top pair. Now I don't see this necessarily as a hole in your game. There are always going to be players that will slow play KK or AA. They have a monster but want to get as much out of it as possible and are not worried if they get knocked out or there are players that just never raise and only call. I think this follows very closely with a player flopping a set with a small pocket pair even if that player had called a raise before flop. I think it is more a matter of do you want to get all your chips in with only top pair or do you need to be more conservative and leave your self an out in case someone has a monster. I do understand where this player is coming from. He is on final table with blinds very high, so all in when you think you have the best hand is usually the right move, but you know that this player could have just about any hand. Anything from A-junk, a draw or even a set. We have all seen it many times at bar poker. Is it a hole in the game. I think not. It is something that just will happen once in while and you have to deal with it's consciouses. It is final table and at sometime you are going to have to put all your chips in, even if you don't have the best hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment