Friday, February 25, 2011

#12 Tournament Director

Now you may not think of this as a poker style, but it really is. As a tournament director (TD) if you are playing in the tournament and get knocked out early then you are stuck watching the rest of the time. There are many times when this style will lay down the best hand to a big bet because they can't leave if knocked out. It is a tighter style then the player would normally play. All the Tournament Directors that I work with have talked about this many times folding when they know they would have called in a different situation. The other thing that happens when a TD plays is they will get called more often when raising as everyone wants to take out the TD as he must be the expert. The pluses of the style is that you will usually last longer and make points in a points league. The big minus is that you fold to bets that you normally wouldn't allowing players to bluff at you more then they normally would. I will add that I don't believe that a person being paid to run a tournament should play in it and in the early days of MN bar poker I rarely played. The times have changed so much that many times I will spend as much as I making running tournaments. So, I now negotiate that in with the bar when I set up a game.

This style is also closely related to the players that will fold to an all in or large bet based on how much is left in their beverage glass, so I will not discuss this style.

No comments:

Post a Comment