Wednesday, January 13, 2010

First CMPPA Tournament

Saturday was the first tournament of the Central MN Poker Players Assoc. (CMPPA). We had 19 members turn out. Not too bad for the first. Tournament was 15,000 in starting chips and 30 minute blinds, so lots of time to wait for good hands which of course I did not! LOL! The playing level was good with the few non patient players getting knocked out early. I made it to final table as short stack and was able to get a few chips to play with. There were only a couple of hands to talk about. My first was at final table in small blind. I have pocket 10's. Min. bet is under the gun and moves all in with a very short stack. If you don't remember min bet guy go back and reread a few of my posts. It's great that he is all in as I am sure that I will have the best hand when I call. On the button is a very sold player who reraises a whole bunch to try and get heads up. I put him on AK or a big pair otherwise I think he just calls. I think for a long time and fold because he had me covered. Min bet guy has pocket 4's and other has pocket 9's. My hand would have won a big pot, but I still ok with folding there as most times I would be dominated. The hand of the night was at 4 players in the tournament. There is one small stack, one medium and two big stacks. I didn't see how the early played out but at the turn the first player to act moves all in. He is the second stack at the table. The big stack is also in hand and goes into a long thought process. Finally he pulls his card protector and says he is going to flip a coin. He flips and it lands on the calling side and he calls. He turns over the nut flush draw with no pairs. The all in turns over the king high flush draw and losses. Now I can see the bet to try and win but I can't see calling off most of my chips with a flush draw with one card to go and no pairs let alone do it with a coin flip. It worked out for him as he had the best hand, but lets make the call by using your skills of reading and deduction not by a coin toss. If I have to toss a coin to decide I am folding. I am not knocking him it was his way of making the decision, I just don't agree with the move.

No comments:

Post a Comment