Tuesday, November 16, 2010

College Bowling Weekend

This will be another blog about bowling. sorry poker people but I spent the weekend in a bowling center watching my son bowl a college tournament. It was a very fun time. My son Kyle bowls for MN State Mankato. It's the same school that I bowled for many years ago. They have been doing very well this season, so I was looking forward to watching. College bowling is different then most bowling tournaments. There are two parts. Day one is usually 6 games of regular bowling and day two is Baker bowling, which is when bowler 1 bowls frames 1 and 6, bowler 2 does 2 and 7. It is a true team experience that most bowlers never get a chance to try. After the 1st 6 games Mankato had a 177 pin lead over the 2nd place team. The top 5 individual scores are named to the all tournament team and My son was 2nd, but only lost to his team mate Jon, so that's ok. It was kyle's 3rd all tournament in a row. On Sunday during the baker the team got off to a slow start and lost most of their lead in the first 4 games. They bowled 28 games of baker, but soon picked it back up again. Then on the 17th game they did something that the school had never done before. They bowled a baker 300 game. It was exciting to watch and a lot of pressure on the last bowler. He started the 10th from with a cross over, but came back strong the last two for the 300 game. They went on to win the tournament by 288 pins, a truly dominate weekend. Congratulations on your win and 300 game. It was fun to be there to be a part of it!

You can find information on college bowling at www.collegebowling.com. MN State is currently ranked 8th in the nation and Kyle is in the top 10 individually. I am sure that after last weekend they will move up even more. Great job guys!

On a side note, after watching bowling all weekend, it was my turn to bowl on Sunday night. They inspired me as I started with a 281 game. It was a first for me. LOL! If you are bowling please laugh along with me. In all my years bowling I had never seen a 281 game before. It is difficult. I had the 1st 10 strikes, then a 5 count and got 1 on the spare. Oh well, maybe next time. Back to poker this weekend with the CMPPA main event on Saturday and Sunday. I am sure there will be something blog worthy from it!

No comments:

Post a Comment