Thursday, January 27, 2011

WTF! Did that really just happen!

Just when I think that just maybe I have seen it all in bar poker an incident will happen that makes me say WTF! I am running my Tuesday game and things are going very well. There is a great turnout. They have a new bartender that is giving us great service. It couldn't get much better. Then it happens! Anytime that you are in charge of a group of people that come from different backgrounds it can always get interesting. Talk can be of sports, politics and even sometimes poker. People don't always agree and most times it will take care of itself. Sometimes as the director you have to step in and calm the situation down. I have even had to kick players out before for their behavior. This incident left me speechless. One of the players that comes very regularly can be at times a very nice man and other times can be very loud and abrasive. He believes that he is a great poker player and knows it all when it comes to rules. He will take over a table if the players let him. He is on the table behind me on Tuesday and is being a little louder then normal, but nothing out of the ordinary. As you know the President was giving the State of the Union address and it was on most TV's in the bar. The TV by where we were playing had a basketball game on but the volume at the bar was loud enough that we could hear it. Very loudly this guy starts tell a joke. Everyone on all tables can hear it. It is about President Obama. In the short the punch line is that he is a dumb (insert the N word)! Our table literally stops playing. My mouth is wide open and I am looking around table as I am floored by what just happened. The guy that told the joke is laughing very loudly and I can tell that the other players are being very quiet. One guy on my table looks at me and says very loudly. "Well that wasn't very politically correct". I am just shaking my head not sure how I should deal with the situation. Then he start into another joke and I am thinking that I am going to have to get up and say something, but to be honest this guy kind of scares me. This time it is more of an appropriate joke and most people on the table laugh and the games goes on without incident again. This person is a guy that I have very little respect for and what little I had is now gone. I am going to have to talk to him about it and am not looking forward as I am sure that he will see nothing wrong with what he did. I am only hoping that he didn't do any permanent damage and cause players not to come and play my games.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like dear old St. Cloud to me. As a former bartender up there, I can honestly say that I am glad I was not bartending through this administration.... My boss was always great and never got mad at me, but I won't listen to things like that and would have tossed that jack ass out. Regular or not.

    ReplyDelete