Wednesday, September 9, 2009

MIn. bet or non raising styles in poker

Lately in my bar games I have been noticing an alarming trend among several of the regular players. They have become minimum bet players or worst yet only call players. The main trend is only calling pre-flop with whatever hand they have. They won't call with just anything. It has to be a hand that they believe is a good hand. It can range anywhere from A-A to J-10 offsuit. The problem for you as a player is you never know what they have. They could have a big hand or just a draw. They play it the same way. They will call any bet you make or check it if no one has bet. Here is an example from my bar game last night. I am the big blind with blinds at 75-150. They are 5 or 6 limpers to me. I raise it to 600 with 8-5 offsuit. I am hoping to take it down after the flop after getting some people to fold which only one person folds pre-flop. Flop comes K-J-8 two hearts. Small blind bets 500. I fold and there are two callers. The first red flag to me was the 500 bet by the small blind. He is a min bet guy. If he has a draw or less then top pair he makes a min bet always. So I knew he had a big hand. Turn is a J. Small blind bets 500 again with two callers. River is an ace. Small blind bets 2000. First player calls second player reraises 2000 more. Both players call. Reraiser turns over AA for aces full of jacks. Min bet guy turns over K-J for Jacks full of kings and other person turns over J-8 for Jacks full of eights. So the hand plays out as AA doesn't raise pre-flop, maybe she thought I would reraise pre-flop but I doubt it, and then doesn't reraise preflop. After flop she calls the small bet drawing slim, but why not call a small bet. But why doesn't J-8 reraise after the flop to try and get rid of any players or just win the hand right there. There is certainly enough in the pot at this time. After the turn AA is almost drawing dead. Once again why no reraise from J-8. River is the miracle ace and AA is rewarded for bad play and will continue to play that way because of it. There is so many things wrong with how this hand played out that it's sick. If AA raises pre-flop. Small blind calls with K-J because he thinks it's a big hand. J-8 and myself fold for sure. The rest of the hand plays out the same way because of betting styles. Now the question is how do you deal with this style player. I have had this conversation may times with my poker friend and a very good player Fitzwell. We have yet to come up with a great answer. My thought is you have to recognize this style as soon as possible and adjust your game accordingly. You must play with caution and be willing to fold the winning hand rather then risk too many chips. I have won many chips from this style of player when I am allowed in a hand with a weaker hand and hit on the flop, but also have lost many lo chips when flopping top pair with a good kicker losing to a bigger pair. I would love to hear your opinions on this subject.

7 comments:

  1. I have seen this problem also and i think it comes from several things. first that's the way the internet plays right now, it was very common to see aggressive players a few years back and from that i think players just put the min in to play to see a flop. i think they are trying to get there money worth for the time they are playing cards. they are not thinking of the big pitcher, to end up with all the chips. Second. Players think they are better then they really are, a good example of this when you see there cards at the end of hand and realized that they played there 7-3 off way to early. This is how i think this can be played. This style of play reminds me of limit poker. I think aggressive poker would work here because we as poker players like to be in control. The players that limp in all the times is showing me that that is where they feel comfortable, i say kick the chair out, get rid of what makes them feel good at the poker table. Be in control of our chips. play like your at a limit table, act like you have a lot to spend. Make the other players worry about limping in just to see a big raise. I might be way off with this but this is what i would do. Thanks, Tony B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some truly wonderful work on behalf of the owner of this internet site , perfectly great articles . LorenPoker

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you use a genuine service, you will be able to provide instructions, share materials and choose the formatting style. http://103.9.100.46

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely enjoying every little bit of it. It is a great website and nice share. I want to thank you. Good job! You guys do a great blog, and have some great contents. Keep up the good work. bola88

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you use a genuine service, you will be able to provide instructions, share materials and choose the formatting style. 먹튀검증

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel a lot more people need to read this, very good info! . pg

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the blog loaded with so many information. Stopping by your blog helped me to get what I was looking for. ogłoszenia towarzyskie olsztyn

    ReplyDelete